FAILURE AND SUCCESS OF UNO
- United Nation an international organization.
- United Nation; founded to replace to League of Nations.
- Threats to world peace are as before.
- Thesis statement leading to conclusion
Preamble to the United Nations Charter
- Maintain international peace.
- Social and economic development.
- Human rights and humanitarian assistance
Aim and purpose of charter:
- To reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights
- To promote social progress
- To establish coordination among nation states without compromising territorial sovereignty.
Membership of United Nation
- Peace loving states
- Decision of the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the Security Council.
Organs of United Nation Organization:
- General assembly
- Security Council secretariat
- International court of justice
- Economic and social council
- Specialized agencies
- International atomic energy agency (IAEA)
- Food and agriculture organization
- Social and Cultural organization
- World health organization
6. Performance of United Nation
- It has so far prevented the world War III
- Transformation of international service sector – education, health, agriculture
- Boosted the trade of goods.
- Peaceful settlement of region conflicts and internal conflicts
- Providing relief and help in disasters, food shortage, housing and population issues
- Demise of Colonialism and Imperialism
- Significant role in disarmament and use of technology for the welfare of mankind.
7. Failures of United Nation:
- Failure to prevent the 1994 Rwandan Genocide
- Failure of UNO in Darfur conflict
- Failure to successfully deliver food to starving people in Somalia
- Failure of MONUL to effectively intervene during the second Congo War
- Iraq War without the authorization of UNO.
- Sexual abuse by UN peacekeepers
- Failure to intervene in bloody civil war of Sri Lanka
- Failure of non-proliferation treaty
- Failure to combat terrorism
- Failure to resolve matter of contentious issues that are threat to world peace such as Kashmir, Palestine, Afghanistan, Iraq etc.
- It has failed to protect deteriorating world climate.
- The US interference in the internal affairs of weaker countries – Libya, Syria, South Korea, Egypt etc.
8. Causes of Failure:
- Financial dependence of world powers
- UNO- a forum for debate
- Unable to take independent without the support of US
- Veto power – it is used to further national interest at the cost of global interest.
- Conflict of interest between powers paralyzes her – Syria Crises
9. Reforming the United Nation
- Reduction of financial dependency on major powers
- Empowering the general to get its decisions implement
- Veto reform
- Increase number of security members.